Nuut

Nottoway II ATA -121 - Geskiedenis

Nottoway II ATA -121 - Geskiedenis


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Nottoway II

(ATA-183: dp. 610; 1. 143 '; b. 33'10 "; dr. 13'2"; s. 13 k; cpl. 45; a. 1 3 "; cl. ATA-121)

Nottoway (ATA-183) wat oorspronklik ATR-ltO aangewys is, is op 14 Julie 1944 neergelê by Levingston Shipbuilding Co., Orange, Tex., Gestart op 16 Augustus 1944 en op 26 Oktober 1944 in diens van luitenant Richard S. Lowry in bevel.

ATA-18S het 'n maand na die ingebruikneming afgeskud, gerapporteer aan bevelvoerder, Panama Sea Frontier, 14 Desember 1944. Op grond van Coco Solo, Canal Zone, het die seeboot 'n verskeidenheid vaartuie gehelp om die kanaal te vervoer en skepe gesleep na Charleston, SC en Aruba. , Nederlands -Wes -Indië.

Hierdie nodige plig het voortgeduur tot vroeg in 1946 toe die vaartuig teruggestoom het na Orange, Texas. In Julie 1948, terwyl ATA-183 toegewys was aan die Atlantic Reserve Fleet, is die naam Nottoway. In 1961 is hierdie sleepboot na die Maritieme Administrasie oorgeplaas en in die National Defense Reserve Fleet geplaas. Sy bly in 1970 in Mobile, Al, geleë.


Cheroenhaka (Nottoway)

The Hand Site Excavation (44SN22) - in Southampton County dateer koolstof uit die voorouers van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiër in Southampton County, Virginia, tot ongeveer 1580. Daar word geglo dat die perseel in 900 nC bestaan ​​het.

Die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam het die eerste etno-historiese kontak met die Engelse in 1607-1608 gemaak in die huidige Nottoway County, Virginia. Die Engelse was op soek na inligting wat op Roanoke -eiland bekend is -die 'Lost Colony'. In 1607 is die stam deur die "Algonquian Speakers" van die Powhatan Confederation die stam Man-goak of Men-gwe genoem en verder in die boonste linkerkwadrant op John Smith se 1607 kaart van Virginia met dieselfde naam gelys in wat nou Nottoway County is.
Die koloniale het name aan ander Indiese stamme gegee, gebaseer op wat die Indiërs met wie hulle die eerste keer in aanraking gekom het, ander stamme genoem het, soos die Algonquian Speakers wat die Cheroenhaka, NA-DA-WA of Nottoway noem, soos dit deur die koloniale waargeneem word. In die sewentien eeu is die Indiane van Virginia (inboorlinge) in drie taalgroepe verdeel: Algonquian Speakers, Siouan Speakers en Iroquoian Speakers.

In die 17de eeu het die sprekende stamme van die Iroquoia grond oos van die Fall Line op die binneste Costal Plains van Suidoos -Virginia beset. Hierdie stamme was die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway), die Meherrin en die Tuscarora. In 1650 volgens die suiwelinskrywings van James Edward Bland, is die Nottoway Indiane deur die Algonquian Speakers genoem NA-DA-WA wat die koloniale na Nottoway teruggestuur het.

Augustus 1650 het Bland twee Indiese dorpe in Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) teëgekom: die eerste stad in die huidige Sussex County naby Rowantee Branch / Creek was 'Chounteroute Town'. Destyds was Chounteroute (Cho-un-te-roun-te) koning /hoof van die Nottoways. Die tweede stad, Tonnatorah, was aan die suidekant van die Nottowayrivier geleë, waar die huidige lyn Sussex - Greensville County die rivier ontmoet.

Die ware naam van die stam is Cheroenhaka (Che-ro-en-ha-ka), wat beteken "People at the Fork of the Steam". Die blyplek van die stam was waar die Nottowayrivier met The Blackwater River vurk om die Chowanrivier te vorm - dus "People at the Fork of the Stream."

Die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam het drie verdrae onderteken: die Verdrag van 1646 1677 en 'n STAND ALONE -verdrag van 27 Februarie 1713. Die "Stand Alone" -verdrag van 1713 is onderteken tussen koloniale luitenant -goewerneur Spotswood en die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stamhoof 'Ouracoorass Teerheer', AKA William Edmund Edmond, soos die kolonialiste genoem het. Die verdrag het 'n 'opvolgklousule'. Ons stamregering (Raad) beweer dat die opvolgklousule bedoel het dat die erkende verhouding wat die stam van 1713 tot 1775 met die koloniale gehad het, met die Statebond van Virginia begin het, vanaf 1776 tot die huidige tyd.

Tribal Warriors van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam het kragte saamgesnoer met Bacon in wat bekend geword het as die berugte Nathaniel Bacon se rebellie van Mei 1776 wat gelei het tot die ondergang van Occaneechee Island / Indiane aan die Roanoke -rivier.

In die middel van die 1680's verhuis die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam, vanweë die inbraak deur die kolonialiste en om oorlog met ander stamme te vermy, van die Nottoway-stad Ta-ma-hit-ton / Tonnatorah in Sussex County na die monding van die Assamoosick Moeras in wat nou Surry County is, en weer in die middel van die 1690's, beweeg dit verder af in die Assamoosick na die huidige Courtland en Sebrell in die destydse Isle of Wight County - tans Southampton County Virginia.

In 1705 het die House of Burgess (nou House of Delegates) twee stukke grond toegestaan ​​aan die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam - die Circle and Square Tracks wat uit ongeveer 41.000 hektaar Reservation Land bestaan. Die spore land val binne die grense van die destydse Isle of Wight County - nou Southampton County. Nota: Southampton County is in 1749 van Isle of Wight County geannekseer.

In 1711 het koloniale luitenant -goewerneur Alexander Spotswood, saam met 1600 gewapende mans, met die Indiese opperhoofde van Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) vergader, met vergifnis wat hulde gebring het, waarna verwys word in die verdrag van 1677 (huldeblyk was 20 beervelle en 3 pyle) as die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese hoofmanne sou hul seuns na die 'Brafferton' stuur, 'n Indiane -skool aan die College of William and Mary.

Alhoewel die Cheroenhaka bang was dat hul seuns as slawerny verkoop sou word, dokumenteer etno-historiese rekords dat Spotswood op 17 November 1711 berig het dat twee seuns van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Chief se mans die "Brafferton" bywoon. Die "vanne" van Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) -indiane verskyn gedurende die 1750's en 1760's steeds op die inskrywingslys van die 'Brafferton'.

Maart 1713 het die koloniale raad in Williamsburg beveel dat die Meherrin -Indiane by die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiane opgeneem moet word en dat die Nansemond Indiane by die Saponies opgeneem moet word. Doel: verwyder na 'n plek waar hulle minder geneig sou wees om verskille met die Engelse te hê en om die kinders by die twee nedersettings te onderrig in die Christendom.

Op 10 Augustus 1715 is die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese "King", William Edmund en 8 Great Men (Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Chief Men) na die hoofstad in Williamsburg genooi en drie dae lank ysters en kettings ingesit totdat hulle ingestem het om te stuur 12 van hul kinders gaan skool by Fort Christiana. Op 13 Augustus 1715 is die kettings verwyder en hulle is beveel om vrygelaat te word.
Op 10 Desember 1719 is 'n lys met name van 8 Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) en 12 Meherrin -kinders aan die Colonial Council in Williamsburg, Virginia, gegee om skool te gaan by Fort Christiana in die huidige Brunswick County.

Op 30 November 1720 het die Koloniale Raad gelas dat alle transaksies met sytreeuse Indiane of Buitelandse Indiërs ingevorder moet word en dat die griffier van die raad 'n versameling maak van alle ontkennings met die Indiane vanaf die eerste vestiging van die kolonie.

Op 7 en 8 April 1728 besoek William Byrd die stad van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam op die reservaatgrond van die stamme in die huidige Courtland, Virginia. Hy het beskryf hoe die mans en vroue gelyk, gesing, gedans en geklee het, die aard van hul fort, langhuise en beddegoed om in te sluit, die kleure wat die vroue gedra het - rooi, wit en blou. Byrd het in sy melkery opgemerk dat die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam die enigste Indiërs was wat nog steeds binne die perke van Virginia kon bly.

Byrd het opgemerk dat die Palisade -fort ongeveer 100 meter aan elke kant vierkantig was. Hy beskryf ook hoe die jong manne vir hom dans met hul gesiggies geverf, singende en stappie by die geluid van 'n gordeldrom wat styf met 'n dierevel gespan is. In Byrd se koerante word ook opgemerk hoe die vroue daar in 'n pragtige styl (meisies van ouds) gelyk het om die wit en blou rusbankdoppies in hul gevlegte hare en om hul nekke op te neem. Hy het geskryf oor die rooi en blou vuurhoutjakkie wat los om hul lyf gedraai is deur hul mahonie -vel. Hy het ook opgemerk dat alhoewel hulle hartseer gekleur is dat hulle goeie vroue sou wees vir die Engelse planters en dat hul donker vel oor twee geslagte sou uitbleik.

Op 7 Augustus 1735 is die Indiese tolke, Henry Briggs en Thomas Wynn, vir die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiërs deur 'n wet deur die Statebond ontslaan en op dieselfde dag die "eerste" van baie grondoordragaktes vir die "Circle Tract" of Land "tussen die koloniale en die opperhoofde van die Indiese stam van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) plaasgevind het en sou tot November 1953 voortduur totdat die Circle en Square Track of Lands (41 000 Acres of Reservation Lands) in die hande van die Europeërs was .

Op 19 Desember 1756 stuur George Washington 'n brief aan die agbare Robert Dinwiddie uit waarin hy die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiane uitspreek en belangstel om hulp van hulle te kry.

Op 8 Maart 1759 is 'n versoekskrif om vergoeding aan Tom Steph, Billy John (s), School Robin en Aleck Scholar, almal Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiërs, wat onder George Washington in die Franse en Indiese oorloë gedien het tot die vermindering van Fort Duquesne.

In Julie 1808 het die goewerneur van die Statebond van Virginia 'n 'spesiale' Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese sensus opgestel vir die Indiërs wat op die oorblywende gronde van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese reservaat in die huidige Courtland, Virginia woon. - ongeveer 7 000 + oorblywende hektaar.

Die spesiale sensus is uitgevoer deur 'White' Trustees in Southampton County. Hulle was Henry Blow, William Blow, ('n afstammeling van John Blow) en Samuel Blunt. Let wel: Nie alle Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiërs wat in die reservaat woon, is opgesom nie.

In 1816 is nuwe trustees aangestel vir die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam. Hierdie Trustees is gemagtig om redelike voorskrifte en regulasies te maak vir die regering van die stam en vir die uitgawes van die geld wat hulle in trust gehou het, wat sou voortduur solank 'n aantal van die stam nog leef. Alle oorblywende fondse moet dan in die staatskas inbetaal word.

In 1820 verkry oudpresident Thomas Jefferson 'n afskrif van die taal van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiane soos opgeteken deur John Wood. Wood het die taal op 4 Maart 1820 opgeteken deur Edie Turner, (Wana Roonseraw) wat op die stam se reservaat in Southampton County, Virginia, gewoon het. Jefferson het 'n afskrif van die taal gestuur na Peter DuPonceau van Philadelphia, wat die taal as Iroquoiaans herken het. Op 17 Maart 1820 word Jefferson aangehaal in 'n artikel wat in die Petersburg Newspaper verskyn het, "dat die enigste oorblyfsels in die deelstaat Virginia van die formidabele stamme die Pamunkeys en Nottoways [Cheroenhaka ... WDB] en 'n paar Mottoponies is."

Volgens die geskrifte van Albert Gallatin (Gallatin 1836: 82) het die agbare James Tresevant (Trezevant), 'n voormalige regter in Southampton County, 'n tweede opname van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) taal in Southampton County, Virginia, tussen 1831 en 1836 saamgestel. Tresevant berig dat die naam van Nottoway self Cheroenhaka was, soms Cherohakah gespel.

In 1823-24, William Bozeman, ook bekend as Billy Woodson, wie se naam op die spesiale Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese sensus van 1808 verskyn het, let op: Billy Woodson se pa was wit-Michal Boseman) het 'n petisie by die Court of Southampton County ingedien om die oorblywende Cheroenhaka ( Nottoway) Indiese reservate Lande verdeel "gratis en eenvoudig" tussen die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiane.

Op 5 Februarie 1849 het die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam suite gevul in die Commonwealth of Virginia Circuit Superior Court of Law and Chancery in die County Southampton County teen Jeremiah Cobb. Die suite is gevul namens die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribal Members en alle ander lede van die stam deur die Trustees (wit), James W. Parker, G.N.W. Newsom, en Jesse S. Parham.

Op 8 November 1850 het regter Rich H. Baker, hof van Southampton County, ten gunste van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam beslis en op 3 Maart 1851, as getuie van Littleton R. Edwards, klerk van genoemde hof, die Cheroenhaka toegeken (Nottoway) Indian Tribe $ 818,80 met rente vanaf 1 Junie 1845.

As gevolg van die suksesvolle hofsaak in 1851, erken die Statebond van Virginia in die Circuit Superior Court of Law and Chancery in die County Southampton County, Virginia die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe, Southampton County, as 'n stam en het nog nooit Sedert daardie tyd het die stamstatus by wyse van wet, wet, wetsontwerp of beleid ontken.

In 1825 -1850, terwyl die laaste stukke van Reservation Lands in die hande van die Europeërs verdwyn het, het baie stamlede met die vanne van Artis, Bozeman, Turner, Rogers, Woodson, Brown, Boone, Williams, verhuis na wat bekend geword het as '' kunstenaar ' Town ”naby wat nou Riverdale Road in Southampton County, Virginia, is. Hulle afstammelinge bly tot in die laat negentigerjare daar as 'n stamgemeenskap en deel hul inheemse Amerikaanse tradisies en gebruike - jag, vang, looiery, visvang, boerdery en grootmaak van honde, waarvan sommige nog grond in genoemde Artis Town besit.

Die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam is die enigste "Iroquoian -stam" wat nog in die Statebond van Virginia woon en beweer 'n gedokumenteerde voortdurende "STATE ERKENDE" status. [Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe vs Jeremiah Cobb, 3 Maart 1851, Circuit Superior Court of Law and Chancery in die County Southampton County].
In 1877 is ongeveer 575 hektaar Tribal Reservation Land in Southampton County verdeel tussen vyf Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese gesinne wie se afstammelinge nog in Southampton County Virginia woon.

In 1965, 66 en 69 is 'n opgrawing van die Hand Site Settlement (44SN22), in Southampton County, Virginia, uitgevoer vanaf 671, waarin ongeveer 131 "gedokumenteerde" grafreste (bene) van Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiërs verwyder is en op 'n rak in bokse by die Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, Washington, DC geplaas. Alle nie-skeletale oorskot word gehuisves by die Department of Historical Resources, Richmond, Virginia.

In 23 Februarie 2002 herorganiseer die Historic Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe, Southampton County, Virginia, deur familiegroepe van Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese afstammelinge en gesinne wat nog steeds in Southampton County Virginia woon, bymekaar te bring.

In Mei 2002 was 'n stamregering in plek met die verkiesing van 'n stamhoof en raadslede. Chief Walt "Red Hawk" Brown is verkies as die eerste moderne hoof. Hy is die 5de "Foster" agterkleinseun van koningin Edith Turner (1734-1838) oftewel "Wana Roonseraw" en die vierde agterkleinseun van Mary "Polly" Woodson Turner, ook bekend as "Kara Hout" (pleegdogter van koningin Edith Turner) en Pearson Turner.

Die eerste Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe Pow Wow and Gathering het plaasgevind op die terrein van die Southampton County Agriculture and Forestry Museum, Courtland, Virginia, op 24 Julie 2002 en het jaarliks ​​voortgegaan op die Southampton County Fair Grounds op die vierde naweek van Julie as 'n viering van die 'Green Corn Harvest'. Op 7 Desember 2002 het die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe 'n voorneme by die Buro vir Indiese Sake (BIA) ingedien waarin aangekondig word dat hy aansoek doen om Federale Erkenning. Inwerkingtredingsdatum op die BIA -webwerf is 30 Desember 2002.

Op 29 Julie 2003 het die hof van Southampton County, Virginia, 'n lisensie uitgereik aan hoof Walter David "Red Hawk" Brown, III, as hoof van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam, met alle wettige regte om die huweliksrituele uit te voer vir het die Indiese stam van Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) gesê in ooreenstemming met die gebruike en tradisies van die stam en die Statebond van Virginia.
Op 27 Februarie 2004 is die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribal Shield and Heraldry onder die kopiereg van die Library of Congress. (VA 1-256-506)

Op 23 Julie 2004 is uitgawe I van die Journal of the Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe Southampton County Virginia, die WASKEHEE, gepubliseer waarin die etniese geskiedenis van die stam gedokumenteer is soos geskryf en gedokumenteer deur Chief Walt "Red Hawk" Brown onder die titel “Creator My Heart Speaks” en word daarna jaarliks ​​voortgesit. Almal is in die Library of Virginia gestoor. Uitgawe I van die Waskehee was kopiereg by die US Copyright Office op 3 Augustus 2007 - Reg. #: TX 6-627-973.
Op 24 Julie 2004 het die verkose amptelike liggaam van Southampton County Virginia, die Southampton County Board of Supervisors, 'n proklamasie van erkenning van die Indiese stam van Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) uitgereik waarin 24 Julie van daardie jaar uitgeroep word as 'Cheroenhaka -dag'.

Op 21 September 2004 het die stam, as een van 500 stamme, ongeveer 25 000 inboorlinge, deelgeneem aan die "Groot Optog" van die opening van die National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, DC. Chief Walt "Red Hawk" Brown is ondervra deur ABC News, soos vertel deur Peter Jennings op die "6:30 World News", en lewer kommentaar oor wat dit as inheemse Amerikaner beteken om deel te wees van die groot viering - videogreep in die historiese argiewe van die stam. Onderhoof Ellis "Soaring Eagle" Wright is ondervra deur ABC -nuus wat op die plaaslike nuus van 12:00 verskyn het.

Op 3 Junie 2005 stem die erkende staat WACCAMAW Indian Tribe of South Carolina ten gunste van 'n gesamentlike resolusie van die WACCAMAW-stamregering, resolusienommer: Joint-HH-06-04-05-001, met erkenning van die soewereiniteit van die Cheroenhaka ( Nottoway) Indian Tribe, Southampton County, Virginia, onderteken deur die agbare hoof Harold D. Hatcher.

Op 13 Junie 2005 is die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribal Heritage Foundation opgeneem as die Non -Profit, 501 (c) 3, entiteit van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam van Southampton County Virginia.

Op 23 Julie 2005 is uitgawe II van die Journal of the Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe Southampton Virginia, die WASKEHEE, gepubliseer waarin Spotswood se verdrag met die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiane op 27 Februarie 1713 uitgebeeld word, met 'n lys van die stam se woordeskat soos opgeteken deur John Wood in 1820. Uitgawe II van die Waskehee was Copywrite by die Amerikaanse kopieregkantoor op 23 April 2007 - Reg. #: TX 6-595-331.

Op 14 Oktober 2005 besoek die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam se "Uitverkore Amptenare" saam met ander stamlede en opvoeders die Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, Washington, DC, op uitnodiging van dr. Dorothy Lippert, saakbeampte, Repatriasieprogramme, en besigtig, in 'n spesiale vertoning, van Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese "Skeletale oorblyfsels" wat geneem is uit die opgrawing van die perseel in Southampton County (44SN22). Die skeletreste "koolstof gedateer", dateer uit 1580.

Op 18 Januarie 2006 word die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam aangebied aan die Algemene Vergadering van die Gesamentlike Resolusie (SJ) 152 van die Senaat van Virginia, titel: Uitbreiding van staatserkenning tot die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam. Die SJ 152 is op 10 Februarie 2006 in die Senaatreëlskomitee deur senator L. Louise Lucas, met stemstem, getref sonder om getuienis van stamverteenwoordigers te ontvang.

Op 9 Februarie 2006, op aanbeveling van senator Thomas Norment, voorsitter van die reëlskomitee van die senaat, het die "stamverkose regering" van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam 'n "Intentielys" aan die voorsitter voorgelê en Raadslede van die Virginia Council on Indians as 'n amptelike kennisgewing van voorneme om 'n versoekskrif aan die Algemene Vergadering van Virginia te doen om staatserkenning tot die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam uit te brei.

Op 9 Julie 2006 was Chief Walt "Red Hawk" Brown, as hoof van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam, Southampton County Virginia, die eerste wat op die dokumentêre program "My Hampton Roads", Wavy TV 10, verskyn, soos vertel deur Andy Fox. Chief Red Hawk het die stamme se geskiedenis gedeel, wat op die perseel in Southampton County uitgesaai is, en die vanne van sy familievoorouers deur middel van 'n televisiebesoek aan sy gesin se begraafplaas en plaas, insluitend die een kamer wat hy en sy voorouers twee myl gestap het woon by, met meer as 'n halfmiljoen kykers.

Op 22 Julie 2006 is uitgawe III van die Journal of the Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe Southampton County, Virginia, die WASKEHEE, gepubliseer met die besoek van die stam aan die National Museum of Natural History, Washington, DC, op 14 Oktober 2005 waarin , is die skeletreste van die opgrawing van die perseel besigtig. Die joernaal dokumenteer ook die skryf van William Byrd en sy besoek aan die stam se reservaat in die huidige Southampton County op 7 April 1728. Uitgawe III van die Waskehee was kopiereg by die Amerikaanse kopieregkantoor op 11 Desember 2006 - Reg. #: TX 6-506-719.

Op 22 Julie 2006 het die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe sy World Wide Web Site gepubliseer wat die stam se Grondwet en Statute, historiese en huidige geskiedenis van Ethno, Taal, Powwow Events, by name stamme van 1808 en opvoedkundige aanbiedings dokumenteer.

Op 25 September 2006 het die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam 'n "Openbare" Peake Belt and Pipe -seremonie gehou deur die oewers van die Nottowayrivier op die terrein van die Southampton County Court House, Courtland, Virginia, waarin verkose amptenare, Raad van Toesighouers , uit vyf provinsies (Nottoway, Sussex, Isle of Wight, Surry en Southampton Counties) het die stam se tradisionele seremonie bygewoon en deelgeneem aan die Peake Pipe en 'n Wampum (Ote-ko-a) gordel van Chief Walt "Red Hawk" aanvaar Bruin. Al vyf die provinsies het Proclamations of Recognition, onder hul seëls seël, aan die stam voorgelê.

In Februarie 2007 het die National Museum of American Indians (NMAI) ter erkenning die naam van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe, Southampton County, Virginia, by die "Honor Wall" van die NMAI, Washington DC, gevoeg. Die naam van die stam word gelys op paneel 4.22, reël 20 van die muur.
Die ses jaarlikse Pow Wow and Gathering van die stam het op 21 en 22 Julie 2007 op die Southampton County Fairgrounds, Courtland, Virginia, plaasgevind as viering van 427 jaar gedokumenteerde Ethno-History (1580 tot 2007).

Op 21 Julie 2007 is uitgawe IV van die Journal of the Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe Southampton County, Virginia, die WASKEHEE, gepubliseer as 'n Jamestown 2007 Special Edition opname van koloniale luitenant -goewerneur Alexander Spotswood se besoek aan die stamreservering in 1711 met 1600 gewapende mans wat die opperhoofde uitnooi om hul seuns na die Brafferton te stuur. Uitgawe IV teken ook die eerste koopakte op 24 November 1735 aan tussen Charles Simmons en die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiane met werklike merke van die stamhoofde. Uitgawe IV van die Waskehee was kopiereg by die US Copyright Office op 16 Augustus 2007- Reg. #: TX 6-820-738.

Op 26 Julie 2008 is uitgawe V van die Journal of the Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe Southampton County gepubliseer waarin die besoek van die stam aan die Library of Virginia gedokumenteer word om 'n toekenning namens Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese koningin Edith Turner (Wane 'Roonseraw) te aanvaar 1734-1838. Die Journal vang die laaste testament van Turner op om 'n afskrif van die 1808 Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese spesiale sensus van 1808 in te sluit.

Op 20 Maart 2009 het die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe, Southampton County Virginia, by aankoop 100 hektaar van sy voormalige reservaatgrond van 41 000 hektaar geëis - voorheen die Square Tract. Die grond sal gebruik word om 'n gekombineerde Tribal Educational Center en Museum te bou, 'n interaktiewe 'Palisade' Indian Indian Village met 'Longhouses' - Cattashowrock Town, 'n Worship Center en Powwow Grounds.

Op 25 Julie 2009 is uitgawe VI van die Journal of the Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe Southampton County Virginia, die WASKEHEE, gepubliseer met 'n tweede lys van ons stam taal soos aangeteken deur John Wood in 1820, met afskrifte van briewe tussen Thomas Jefferson en Peter DuPonceau wat bevestig dat ons Iroquoiaanse sprekers is.

Op 10 Augustus 2009 is J. Walter D. "Spirit Hawk" Brown, IV, seun van Chief Walt "Red Hawk" Brown, toegelaat aan die Bacone College, Muskogee, Oklahoma, op 'n American Indian Student of Promise Scholarship - Student ID A000038451.

Bacone College is oorspronklik in 1880 gestig om opgevoede Amerikaanse Indiane as sodanig, "Spirit Hawk" het geskiedenis vir die stam gemaak deur die eerste aangetekende stamlid te word, sedert 1711 (The Brafferton) en 1878 (Hampton Normal School) om die kollege by te woon by 'n skool oorspronklik opsy gesit vir die opvoeding van Amerikaanse Indiane.

Op 20 en 21 November 2009 het die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam 'n vennootskap aangegaan met First Landing Foundation Historical Villages in Cape Henry, Fort Story, Virginia Beach Virginia en die Archeological Society of Virginia, Nansemond Chapter, en 'n Native History School gelei. Day and a Corn Harvest Fall Festival Powwow.

Mei 2009 tot en met Desember 2009 het Chief Walt "Red Hawk" Brown, saam met die ondersteuning van ander stamlede en die Archeological Society of Virginia, Nansemond Chapter, Native American Ethno Historical Educational Presentations (SOL Specific) aan meer as 2500 studente van verskillende publiek gegee skool deur Hampton Roads, Richmond, Southside en Wes -Virginia, insluitend die deel van die geskiedenis, Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese en ander voorhistoriese artefakte, en die spreektaal van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam, Southampton County.

Van Julie 2002 tot Desember 2009 het Chief Walt "Red Hawk" Brown, saam met ander lede van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam, ingesluit, die ondersteuning van die Archeological Society of Virginia, Nansemond Chapter, meer as 500 000 mense in die hele Gemenebest toegespreek van Virginia, bestaande uit studente, opvoeders, historiese verenigings, biblioteke, professionele organisasies, die breë publiek en militêre gehore op verskillende poste, basisse en installasies (weermag, vloot, lugmag -mariniers) by wyse van klaskameraanbiedings, historiese lesings, Powwows, televisiedokumentêre, wat die geskiedenis en taal van die Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indiese stam, Southampton County Virginia, deel.


Geskiedenis en Trivia

Nottoway County is die eerste keer bewoon deur inheemse Amerikaanse Indiane van die Iroquoiaanse stam genaamd Nadowa. Die Nadowa het langs die enigste rivier van die graafskap gewoon en die naam van hul stam het verband gehou met die gebied waarin hulle bewoon het. Hierdie naam is verengels met die koms van Engelse setlaars na 'Nottoway'.

Ontdekkers en handelaars het die gebied al in 1650 besoek. Engelse setlaars het die gebied vroeg in die 1700's begin bevolk en hul tradisies en gebruike meegebring. Die grootste deel van die grond is teen die middel van die 1700's geëis en hierdie vroeë inwoners het selfonderhoudende plase en plantasies bedryf, wat voordeel trek uit die gunstige topografie en rykdom aan natuurlike hulpbronne. Saam met 'n aansienlike aantal vakmanne en arbeiders uit Wes -Afrika en kontinentale Europa, het die moeilike taak van grenslewe 'n onafhanklike en vindingryke bevolking opgelewer.

Voordat die graafskap sy eie regering gestig het, was dit bekend as Nottoway Parish, 'n distrik van Amelia County. Nottoway Parish het in 1788 deur wetgewende wet Nottoway County geword. Op grond van sy gunstige ligging het die County talle vroeë kruispad -nedersettings bevat wat die nuwe westelike grens verbind met die bevolkingsentrums in die noorde en ooste. Spoorwegkonstruksie het ook vroeg gevolg, wat eers omstreeks 1850 plaasgevind het.

Die County was die plek van een geveg tydens die oorlog tussen die state, die 'Battle of the Grove', wat geveg is oor die beheer van die spoorlyn in Nottoway ('n lyn wat as 'n belangrike toevoerlyn vir generaal Robert E. Lee gedien het) Die leër van Noord -Virginia).

Die drie dorpe van die graafskap is aan die einde van die 1800's ingelyf, langs die gang wat die Amerikaanse snelweg 460/Norfolk Southern Railway -gang sou word wat die graafskap sny. Industrialisering het terselfdertyd floreer en die gemak benut om grondstowwe in en afgewerkte produkte uit te skuif. Landelike vervaardiging gebruik dikwels die oorvloedige natuurlike hulpbronne van die gebied, veral landbouprodukte, hout en houtprodukte.

Die 20ste eeu het 'n toename in die diversifikasie van die graafskap in sy landbou-, industriële en kommersiële sektore. Hierdie diversifikasie het 'n ekonomie en gemeenskap geskep wat die houding, vaardighede en talente van die burger weerspieël. Gedurende hierdie tyd is groot staats- en federale fasiliteite in die graafskap geskep. Fort Pickett, wat gestig is tydens die uitbreek van die Tweede Wêreldoorlog, word beskou as een van die beste militêre opleidingsfasiliteite in die ooste.

2013 - Present Ancestral Trackers & Jeanne Challoner Hierdie webwerf kan vrylik gekoppel word, maar nie sonder toestemming gedupliseer word nie. Alle regte voorbehou. Kommersiële gebruik van materiaal op hierdie webwerf is verbode. Die kopiereg (e) nAncestral Trackers, op hierdie bladsy, moet op alle gekopieerde en/of gedrukte materiaal verskyn - as dit met toestemming van die gasheer gebruik word.


Geskiedenis

Nottoway County is die eerste keer bewoon deur inheemse Amerikaanse Indiane van die Iroquoiaanse stam genaamd Nadowa. Die Nadowa het langs die County se enigste rivier gewoon, en die naam van hul stam het verband gehou met die gebied waarin hulle bewoon het. Hierdie naam is verengels met die koms van Engelse setlaars na 'Nottoway'.

Die gebied is reeds in 1650 deur ontdekkingsreisigers en handelaars besoek. Engelse setlaars het die gebied vroeg in die 1700's begin bevolk en hul tradisies en gebruike meegebring. Die grootste deel van die grond is teen die middel van die 1700's opgeëis, en hierdie vroeë inwoners het selfonderhoudende plase en plantasies bedryf, wat voordeel trek uit die gunstige topografie en rykdom van natuurlike hulpbronne. Die moeilike taak van grenslewe het 'n onafhanklike en vindingryke bevolking opgelewer.

Voordat die graafskap sy eie regering gestig het, was dit bekend as Nottoway Parish, 'n distrik van Amelia County. Nottoway Parish het in 1788 deur wetgewende wet Nottoway County geword. Op grond van sy gunstige ligging het die County talle vroeë kruispad -nedersettings bevat wat die nuwe westelike grens met die bevolkingsentrums in die noorde en ooste verbind. Spoorwegkonstruksie het ook vroeg gevolg, wat eers omstreeks 1850 plaasgevind het.

Die County was die plek van een geveg tydens die oorlog tussen die state, die 'Battle of the Grove', wat geveg is oor die beheer van die spoorlyn in Nottoway ('n lyn wat as 'n belangrike toevoerlyn vir generaal Robert E. Lee gedien het) Weermag van Noord -Virginia).

Die drie dorpe van die graafskap is aan die einde van die 1800's ingelyf, alles wat die Amerikaanse snelweg 460/Norfolk Southern Railway -gang sou word wat die graafskap sny. Industrialisering het terselfdertyd floreer en die gemak benut om grondstowwe in en afgewerkte produkte uit te skuif. County manufacturing often utilized the area’s abundant natural resources, particularly agricultural products, timber, and wood products.

The 20th century saw an increase in the diversification of the County in its agricultural, industrial and commercial sectors. This diversification created an economy and community that mirrored its citizen’s attitudes, skills, and talents. During this time, major state and federal facilities were created in the County. Fort Pickett, established at the outbreak of World War II, is noted as one the finest military training facilities in the east.

Today, the county continues to enjoy a healthy diversity of people and economic interests. Small business has thrived, as evidenced by the vitality of its three towns. Nottoway manufacturing facilities produce a wide variety of goods.

Throughout its history, Nottoway’s people have remained hard working, industrious and friendly. They are proud of the community that they and those who came before them have created.

  • Site of Civil War “Battle of the Grove”
  • Route of Lee’s Retreat
  • Burial site of Missionary Lottie Moon

--> © Copyright, Nottoway County Historical Association, All rights reserved.


State adds 15 historic sites to the Virginia Landmarks Register

Among 15 places approved for listing on the Virginia Landmarks Register are a site that traces back to Nottoway tribal reservation lands established in the colonial era, a historic district where one of the largest textile mill villages in the South evolved during the 20th century, and a rare surviving former “poor farm” established in the 1890s. The VLR is the commonwealth’s official list of places of historic, architectural, archaeological, and cultural significance.

In Southampton County, the 1.8-acre Millie Woodson-Turner Home Site, located near the communities of Capron and Courtland, is where a farmstead once stood that Nottoway tribal members occupied from around 1852 to 1953. The Woodson-Turner site was part of the Nottoway tribal reservation lands established during the colonial era after the Nottoway entered a treaty with officials of the English Crown. It also is the first identified 19th-century Nottoway house site.

The tribe held Nottoway reservation lands in common until around 1830, when it began distributing allotments of the Nottoway lands to private ownership of tribal members. The Millie Woodson-Turner Home Site was one such allotment, which occurred around 1850. As one of the last remaining farms of the Nottoway’s Indian Town, the site has connection to the living memory of Nottoway descendants today.

After a 1953 chancery court-ordered auction of the land, the site left possession of Nottoway descendants, meaning prior to then the Millie Woodson-Turner Home Site had an uninterrupted indigenous tenancy, making it the only Iroquoian reservation site documented (to date) in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

The listing of the Millie Woodson-Turner Home Site was facilitated by a Multiple Property Documentation (MPD) Form, The Nottoway of Virginia, c. 1650–c. 1953, that the Virginia Board of Historic Resources also approved. The MPD for the Nottoway also will support future nominations of Nottoway-affiliated sites to the VLR and the National Register of Historic Places.

The Nottoway MPD recognizes the Nottoway as indigenous to the interior coastal plain of Virginia and North Carolina and closely related to the region’s other Iroquoian-speakers, the Meherrin and Tuscarora. After intermittent contact with Europeans from around 1560 to 1650, a brisk trade emerged from around 1650 to 1675 between the Nottoway and the English colonists who settled in the eastern Tidewater region.

The Nottoway, along with the Pamunkey, were signatories of the 1677–1680 Articles of Peace negotiated at the Camp of Middle Plantation, later established as the colonial capital of Williamsburg. Through the articles in the agreement, the Nottoway became “tributary” to the English king—a quasi-alliance—that forced the Nottoway and other tribes to acknowledge the dominion of the Crown, but confirmed Indian governments and territories as dependent sovereigns.

The Nottoway tributary status was again confirmed by treaty in 1714 at the conclusion of the Tuscarora War. As stipulated in these treaties, the Nottoway lands were surveyed and two reservations established around their Indian Towns, in the landscape of what is today Southampton County.

In Danville, the roughly 512-acre Schoolfield Historic District encompasses the remaining buildings associated with the mill village of Schoolfield, an independent company town the textile giant Dan River Mills developed southwest of downtown Danville beginning in 1903. The district’s 1,005 historical buildings, largely retaining their original footprint and character, exemplify the industrial, commercial, community, and residential components of a southern mill village, one planned, constructed, owned, and operated by the textile company.

From 1882 until it closed in 2006, Dan River Mills produced cloth for home and apparel. One of the company’s two divisions in Danville, Schoolfield attracted workers, including many women, from the surrounding countryside seeking alternatives to farm work. Schoolfield Village provided for their economic, domestic, social, physical, religious, and educational welfare. The commercial core of the village survives as testimony to Schoolfield’s identity as an independent and self-sufficient community.

The district’s residential section of wood-frame housing for workers reflects the company’s decision in 1917 to hire professional planners and landscape architects to develop a “New Company Town,” one that eliminated the mill as the village focal point through the placement of trees and shrubs or built structures that obscured sight of the mills from the residential area.

Between 1919 and 1930, the company experimented with Industrial Democracy to give workers a voice in the mill operations. Despite this progressive policy, the management and workers of the mill actively excluded African Americans through the company’s employment and housing policies. As one of the largest industries in the city, management at the Schoolfield mills maintained a white majority population and political control in Danville almost as long as Dan River Mills existed.

The surviving section of Mill No. 5, a power plant and dam, water filtration plant, pump house and office, two warehouses, and various other supporting buildings and structures illustrate industrial design during the first half of the 20th century, as well as the mill’s operation as it evolved throughout the 20th century. Schoolfield’s two office buildings, the Italian Renaissance Revival–style 1903 main office, and the 1967 Modernist Miesian-style Executive Office Building, represent the very different periods in which each was constructed. The district also contains the previously listed three-building Schoolfield School Complex and the Schoolfield Welfare Building, as well as six churches and a large cemetery.

In western Virginia, the former Craig County Poor Farm is important for its role in promoting the welfare of the county’s poor and needy residents during its years of operation between 1892 and 1921, and is among the few surviving examples of poor farms or poorhouses in Virginia. The poor farm superintendent’s two-story house, a simple dwelling of frame construction with vernacular Greek Revival elements, stood on the grounds by 1892. Next to the house stands an 1892 poorhouse cottage, one of three residential cottages that stood on the grounds in 1909. The two-bay, two-room cottage is reminiscent of servants’ quarters of the 19th-century era and conforms to the standard poorhouse lodging form in Virginia at the turn of the 20th century. The property also retains from its poor farm period a stone cellar structure, a frame granary-corncrib, the County Farm Cemetery where poor farm residents were buried, and a frame barn.

In 1921, the county sold the farm to a family who used the superintendent’s house as their farmhouse and converted the surviving poorhouse cottage to a chicken house.

In addition to the Schoolfield Historic District, during its meeting Thursday, the Virginia Board of Historic Resources also approved five other districts:

  • The Flat Creek Rural Historic District, in Campbell County, presents an agrarian landscape of roughly 1,201 acres. It covers four primary properties: Flat Creek Farm, established in 1796 and two properties carved out of the former in the 20th century: East Hills Farm, dating to around 1926, and the Saunders Sawmill complex, constructed in 1946 as well as an adjacent ten-acre ensemble consisting of a church, cemetery, and rectory. The district’s range of buildings, sites, and structures illustrate Virginia’s west-central Piedmont agriculture over more than two centuries as well as the rise of sawmilling and ore extraction beginning in the late 1800s. Notable buildings include a collection of five distinct log buildings constructed between 1828 and 1847, including a slave quarters. The district’s collection of varied vernacular domestic, agricultural, and industrial resources represent the different types of households, farming practices, and mining operations in the rural Piedmont from 1797 through 1965.
  • Essex County’s Occupacia-Rappahannock Rural Historic District encompasses a vernacular landscape of more than 44,884 acres that boasts a significant collection of buildings, structures, landscape features, and sites that highlight the evolution of a rural Tidewater community from the early 1700s through the mid-20th century. The Rappahannock River, smaller waterways, and historic roadways defined and shaped the area’s infrastructure and development, giving rise to a cluster of former riverfront plantations, and 19th and early 20th century crossroad communities and farms. The district’s period of significance extends from circa 1730, marking the construction of Glencairn, the oldest house in the district, to 1969, when the population increasingly relied on commuting lifestyles less dependent on agriculture for livelihoods, a trend that began prior to World War II. The district also includes numerous historic sites associated with its African American population.
  • The Saluda Historic District got its start when Middlesex County voters approved a referendum in 1849 to move the county seat from Urbanna to a more central location, Saluda. In 1852, the Middlesex County Courthouse arose on a square where two roads meet, now the heart of the Saluda Historic District. Consisting of about 65 parcels, the district extends mostly along today’s US 33 and US 17 (historically, Gloucester Road). Its oldest house is the circa-1837 Oakenham, constructed for Thomas W. Fauntleroy, who was instrumental in promoting the referendum that relocated the county seat to Saluda. During the 1800s and early 1900s, Saluda retained its village character, one centered on the business of the courts. The first quarter of the 20th century saw prominent individuals construct substantial houses, while the century’s second quarter witnessed the construction of more modest dwellings. The district’s former Antioch Elementary School and the existing Antioch Baptist Church both have important historical associations with Saluda’s African American community.

Two districts recall Virginia’s early railroad history:

  • Chase City Warehouse and Commercial Historic District traces back to a mid-1700s crossroads community in northwest Mecklenburg County. The arrival in 1883 of the Atlantic Richmond and Danville Railroad to Chase City catalyzed rapid commercial development with the town serving the Piedmont area’s tobacco trade, lumber mills, and other agricultural activities. The Chase City Warehouse and Commercial Historic District, consisting of nearly 27 acres, arose quickly along Main Street (Route 47) and rail lines. It recalls the town’s emergence by the early 20th century as the county’s largest center of population and employment for many decades. It also reflects development after a 1903 fire that devastated the town and resulted in an ordinance mandating the use of masonry in building construction. The earliest commercial building in the district dates to 1905 and of particular note are the Southside Roller Mills, circa 1912, and the large Banner Tobacco Warehouse, circa 1915. The circa-1834 Shadow Lawn, a previously listed residence, is the only antebellum building in the district. Incorporated in 1873, the town saw its population begin declining by the late 1960s as economic trends shifted away.
  • Located one block south of West Main Street in Abingdon (Washington County), the Depot Square Historic District began taking shape around 1856 when the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad extended the first railroad through Abingdon and constructed a depot. The railroad made Abingdon a regional center of commerce and trade and boosted the town’s growth. Today’s district consists of seven historical buildings, and a pedestrian bridge erected around 1922. The earliest building, the three-story Hattie House Hotel, now known as the Mercantile Building, was constructed in 1855. Around 1857 the Greek Revival-style Section Master’s House arose in tandem with the construction of the first depot. Also around 1857, the Depot Hotel, a two-story frame dwelling was erected, built by prominent local brickmason and contractor William Fields, who also built the district’s Fields House around 1860. Around 1869, the Virginia and Tennessee Railway built a new Freight Depot in the Italianate style to replace the original one burned during the Civil War. In 1910, Norfolk & Western Railway constructed its passenger depot, a one-story, brick Tudor Revival-style building. The most recent building contributing to the district is a one-story Commercial-style edifice that housed a barbershop and billiards parlor, built in 1922. With its two adjacent train depots serving as the district’s central focal point, the Depot Square Historic District recalls Abingdon’s significant railroad history.

Two high schools constructed during Virginia’s era of segregation also were approved:

  • The George Washington High School in Alexandria has functioned continuously as a school since its construction in 1935 for white students, with funding provided by the Federal Emergency Public Works Administration, one of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal initiatives during the Great Depression. The school is one of the largest and signature examples in Alexandria of Art Deco, a popular style of the period. In 1938 and 1947, south and north wings were added to the main building, and in 1941, the city built a separate Mechanical Arts Building, also executed in the Art Deco style. Alexandria desegregated the school in 1965. Although not historically significant to the school’s listing on the VLR, its notable alumni include: “Mama” Cass Elliot and John Phillips of the 1960s folk-rock group The Mamas & The Papas Jim Morrison, lead singer for the rock group The Doors Willard Scott, a TV personality who was with NBC’s Vandag show from 1980 to 1996 Guy S. Gardner, a former NASA Astronaut, and Francis Hammond, a Korean War veteran posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.
  • Jackson P. Burley High School in Charlottesville is named for a local African American educator and community leader. The building represents a rare instance in which two localities—Charlottesville and Albemarle County—sought to achieve “separate but equal” educational facilities during segregation—and at a time when successful legal suits underway elsewhere in Virginia challenged the unequal and overcrowded conditions in black schools. The agreement to construct a new high school for black students resulted from the overcrowded and seriously insufficient facilities for African Americans in both jurisdictions. Opened in 1951, Jackson P. Burley High School proved to be the last substantial effort in Virginia to construct a new and well-equipped separate but equal high school for African American students. That approach ended when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1954 in Brown v. Onderwysraad that segregated public schooling was unconstitutional. Architecturally, the Burley school building is one of the first schools in the region designed in the modern Stripped Classical style. In 1967, the city and county ended school segregation, and the building now houses Jackson P. Burley Middle School, now solely owned by Albemarle County.

African American history is also central to another VLR listing in Albemarle County:

  • River View Farm is important for its legacy as a prosperous working farm owned by an African American family, members of a community of black farmers, tradespeople, businesspersons, ministers, and educators centered on Union Ridge and Hydraulic Mills in Albemarle County during the late 1800s. The formerly enslaved Hugh Carr purchased the land in 1870 and built the existing farmhouse around 1880, where he and his wife, Texie M. Hawkins, raised seven children, encouraging them to pursue higher education. Locally, the property’s importance extends as well to its affiliation with Carr’s daughter, Mary, and her husband Conly Greer. Mary Carr Greer became a teacher, then principal for 20 years at Albemarle Training School, the only post–elementary school available to African American students in Albemarle during segregation until 1951, when Jackson P. Burley High School opened for black students. After Carr’s death in 1973, the county in 1974 named a newly built school Mary Carr Greer Elementary. Conley Greer was Albemarle’s first African American agricultural extension agent, a career spanning 1918 to 1953 during which he educated and advised farm families about science-based farming practices the U.S. Department of Agriculture promoted. In 1937-38, Greer used USDA plans when he constructed a large barn that still stands at River View Farm. The Carr farmhouse evolved during the 20th century with a 1915 addition and the incorporation of plumbing, electricity, and central heating and other improvements.

Three VLRs approved are notable for their architectural design:

  • Located in the Sinking Creek Valley of Craig County, Bellevue is a Federal-style two-story brick house updated in the Victorian style around 1900. It is the only antebellum brick house to survive in the county and possibly the only one ever built. The house was constructed for merchant Robert Wiley about 1833. His son, Dr. Oscar Wiley, practiced medicine in a circa 1860 Greek Revival office in the front yard. In the late 1800s, Scottish-born livestock breeder Thomas Bonar Neilson owned the farm and reportedly in 1893 kept there “the largest flock of Shropshiredown sheep in the State.” The house features Flemish and common bond brick construction, and Federal-style detail consistent with the finer houses of the 1810s to 1830s period, the heyday of the style’s popularity in western Virginia. The circa 1900 decorative front porch exhibits exceptional Victorian-era carpentry and millwork. In addition to a cemetery and the foundation for a building of unknown function (possibly a store), the property also features a bunker-like potato storage cellar and a pyramidal-roofed icehouse with sawdust-insulated walls, both constructed during the first quarter of the 20th century.
  • Located in Fairfax County on the highest point of rolling, wooded hills above the Potomac River, Bois Dore, completed in 1951, is the important for its architecture and two designers, Thomas Tileston Waterman, a prominent architectural historian and preservationist, and William Max Haussmann, the chief architect of the National Park Service (NPS) Capital Region between 1952 and 1963. Waterman and Haussmann, notable players in the field of architecture and architectural history, contributed to the practice of historic restoration and to the direct preservation of historic structures, particularly on the East Coast. After Washington socialite Karen Gram Scott commissioned the project, Waterman designed an H-shaped, French Villa-style house and two-car garage with living quarters on the second floor. Since Waterman was not a licensed architect as required by Virginia state building codes, he collaborated with Haussmann with whom he had worked for several decades. Haussmann became the architect of record for the project and completed the designs in 1950. The house remains much as Waterman and Haussmann designed it with original exterior finishes and interior flooring, woodwork, fireplaces, and plaster walls.
  • Located on the Hyco River in south-central Halifax County, Oak Cliff is significant for its diversity of architectural features, which derive from Georgian, Federal, Greek Revival and Gothic Revival styles. Built originally in the Georgian style around 1792 for General Joseph Jones, a Petersburg merchant, planter, and civic leader, the house and property may have served as Jones’s summer residence and base of operations for the management of his upcountry plantations. Oak Cliff’s transitional Federal-Greek Revival details relate to a 1830s remodeling during the ownership of William and Jane Carrington. A wing of the building with Greek Revival detail was added about 1850. On the grounds are a Carrington family cemetery with a decorative iron fence and professionally crafted marble tombstones, as well as the circa 1880s stone abutments of an Atlantic & Danville Railway bridge, and pedestrian-vehicular bridges over the Hyco River, which borders the property.

Also approved for listing on the VLR is Glebe Apartments (now known as Knightsbridge Apartments) in Arlington County. The apartments exemplify the multi-family garden apartment complexes that arose between 1934 and 1954 in Arlington County as a response to the critical need for moderately priced housing for a growing population in the greater Washington D.C. area. That need began in the 1930s with the influx of people who found work with a burgeoning federal government under the New Deal and the government’s subsequent expansion as the U.S. prepared for World War II. Following World War II, the small Glebe Apartments complex, constructed in 1947, provided housing for some of the thousands of veterans, among other people, who settled in the county. Similar to other garden apartments in Arlington, Glebe Apartments incorporated the standards of forward-thinking planners and housing reformers who promoted the benefits of modern, efficient interior floor plans and attractively planned residential communities to people of moderate means. Executed in a Colonial Revival-style, Glebe Apartments’ design specifically met the moderate means of workers and their families.

The Department of Historic Resources will forward the documentation for these newly listed VLR sites to the National Park Service for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places. Listing a property in the state or national registers is honorary and sets no restrictions on what property owners may do with their property. The designation is foremost an invitation to learn about and experience authentic and significant places in Virginia’s history.

Designating a property to the state or national registers—either individually or as a contributing building in a historic district—provides an owner the opportunity to pursue historic rehabilitation tax credit improvements to the building. Tax credit projects must comply with the Secretary of Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation.

Virginia is a national leader among states in listing historic sites and districts on the National Register of Historic Places. The state is also a national leader for the number of federal tax credit rehabilitation projects proposed and completed each year.


History of Nottoway

Nottoway County was first inhabited by native American Indians of the Iroquoian nation tribe called Nadowa. The Nadowa lived along the County’s only river and the name of their tribe became associated with the area they inhabited. This name was Anglicized with the coming of English settlers to ‘Nottoway’.

The area was visited by explorers and traders as early as 1650. English settlers began to populate the area in the early 1700’s, bringing with them their traditions and customs. Most of the land was claimed by the mid-1700’s and these early inhabitants operated self-sufficient farms and plantations, taking advantage of the area’s favorable topography and wealth of natural resources. Together with a substantial number of craftsmen and laborers from west Africa and continental Europe, the difficult task of frontier living produced an independent and resourceful population.

Before the County established its own government, it was known as Nottoway Parish, a district of Amelia County. Nottoway Parish became Nottoway County by legislative act in 1788. The County, by virtue of its favorable location, contained numerous early crossroads settlements connecting the new western frontier with the population centers to the north and east. Railroad construction also followed early, first occurring around 1850.

The County was the site of one battle during the War Between the States, the “Battle of the Grove,” which was fought over control of the rail line in Nottoway (a line that served as a major supply line to General Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia).

The County’s three towns were incorporated in the late 1800’s, all along what was to become the U.S. Highway 460/Norfolk Southern Railway corridor that bisects the County. Industrialization blossomed at the same time, exploiting the ease of moving raw materials in and finished products out. County manufacturing often utilized the area’s abundant natural resources, particularly agricultural products, timber, and wood products.

The 20th century saw an increase in the diversification of the County in its agricultural, industrial and commercial sectors. This diversification created an economy and community that mirrored its citizen’s attitudes, skills, and talents. During this time, major state and federal facilities were created in the County. Fort Pickett, established at the outbreak of World War II, is noted as one the finest military training facilities in the east.

Today, the county continues to enjoy a healthy diversity of people and economic interests. Small business has thrived, as evidenced by the vitality of its three towns. Nottoway manufacturing facilities produce a wide variety of goods.

Throughout its history, Nottoway’s people have remained hard working, industrious and friendly. They are proud of the community that they and those who came before them have created.

The future holds great promise for Nottoway County. Its close proximity to the growing edge of Virginia’s “Golden Crescent” will continue to create great opportunity for its “new settlers.”


William FitzGerald, Sr., of “Leinster”

Prince George County, Virginia, and died 1771 in "Leinster, " Nottoway County (then Amelia), Virginia.

Familie

He married Elizabeth Irby. She was born AFT 1730.

Children of William Fitzgerald and Elizabeth Irby are:

  • i. William Fitzgerald was born 7 JUN 1750 in Amelia County, Virginia, and died 1818 in Nottoway County, Virginia.
  • ii. Thomas Fitzgerald was born AFT 1750 in Virginia.
  • iii.Ÿrancis Fitzgerald was born AFT 1751 in Virginia.
  • iv.žlizabeth Fitzgerald was born AFT 1754 in Virginia.
  • v. Robert Fitzgerald was born BEF 1768 in Virginia.

Biografie

From Colonial Families of the Southern States of America: A History and Genealogy . By Stella Pickett Hardy path 217 link

The Virginia family is descended from this branch of the distinguished house of Fitzgerald, though there were other offshoots from the main stem, some of which were early represented in the Colonies.

WILLIAM FITZGERALD, of "Leinster," Amelia Co., Va., dates of birth and death unknown he received a grant from King George II. for 1,700 or more acres of land in Amelia Co., in the year of 1742

MAJOR WILLIAM FITZGERALD, of "Leinster," Amelia Co., Va., eldest son and heir, b. 1749 who inherited the ancesterial home "Leinster," which was named after their old home in Ireland. He was a gallant officer in the Revolutionary War .


Nottoway II ATA-121 - History

Nottoway River (NA-DA-WA JO-KE)

. COVID-19 ALERT.

Governor of Virginia issues additional COVID-19 guidelines, (EO) Executive Order- 55

Tribal Territory is in the State of VA we are affected by EO-55

CATTASHOWROCK TOWN

27345 AQUIA PATH

COURTLAND, VIRGINIA 23837

Phone: 757-562-7760 or 757-354-6839

&ldquoCome See What William Byrd II of Westover, Saw When He Visited Our Land here in 1728 what is now Southampton, County, Virginia"

Visit Cattashowrock Town, a 17th Century replica Native American Palisade Village, as identified by William Byrd II of Westover upon his visit to what is now Southampton County, Virginia on April 7th & 8th, 1728 and walk the interpretative trails guided by signage in our Iroquoian language and in English identifying Native Flora and Fauna indigenous to the area.

SOL Appropriate / Specific

_______________________________

27th Annual Cheroenhaka (Nottoway) Indian Tribe

Fall Festival &ldquoCorn Harvest&rdquo Powwow and School Day

Datum: November 6th School Day, 7th and 8th Powwow 2020

Plek: Cattashowrock Town

Adres: 27345 Aquia Path

Courtland, Virginia 23837


Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos